|Batata Vadas recipe|
- 4 medium size boiled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green chilies minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup gram flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1//4 teaspoon red chili powder
For the Batter
- Mix gram flour, salt and cilantro. Add water slowly to make a thick but smooth batter.
Make the Potato balls Vada
- Boil potatoes till 80% cooked. They should be firm yet cooked
- Peel and coarsely mash the boiled potatoes.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and as the seeds crackle, add mashed potatoes, ginger paste, minced green chili, turmeric, and salt.
- Stir fry on medium heat for 2 minutes and then add cilantro and mix well. Turn of the heat.
- After this mixture cools off, start making small balls the size that will easily fit in your fist.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Make sure there is about 1 ½ inch of oil.
- Dip the potato patties into the batter one at a time, making sure the patties are completely covered by the batter. Then, slowly drop them into the frying pan.
- Turn them occasionally until both sides are just done and light brown.
- Serve in bread with a chili and some garlic chutney or even tamarind sauce